Etymology of the word - kundanam ?

suresh at bocaraton.ibm.com suresh at bocaraton.ibm.com
Tue Feb 14 22:04:37 UTC 1995

A while ago, I posted this query, but never seemed to have reached here.

I am interested to know the etymology of the word kundanam. In
telugu, it is used in the meaning of gold.  I am not very sure
whether it is a Sanskrit word or not, though I have North Indian
friends, named as kundan. I think that this word has no connection
to the sanskrit word "kunda (meaning jasmine)", but would be glad to
be clarified by the pundits. My friend's daughter is named kundana,
and I promised him that I would find out the etymology of this word.
                             --  Regards, Suresh. suresh at bocaraton.ibm.com