home for pd Pali Canon?

mhcrxlc at dir.mcc.ac.uk mhcrxlc at dir.mcc.ac.uk
Fri Dec 15 10:59:54 UTC 1995

I have recently been in contact with Ven. Mettavihari of IBRIC in Sri Lanka
(see below). They have a draft version of the Buddha Jayanti Tripitaka
available in machine readable form. The BJT (originally published by the
government of Ceylon in Sinhala script) is perhaps the best of the post-war
editions of the Pali Canon.

The good news is that it will be entirely public domain. At present there
are still many errors, but the editing process is continuing and it may be
hoped that these can be eliminated in due course. The page numbers of the
PTS edition have been added in some cases and this too is in progress.
There are some questions too as to what formats it will eventually be
available in.

Nonetheless this is excellent news and a major step forward in Pali
studies. I understand that IBRIC might be willing to make available a copy
to an appropriate web site from which it could be downloaded freely. So I
thought I would ask here if we have an appropriate location ? Even in its
current state it would be well-worthwhile to have it available.

IBRIC stands for International Buddhist Research and Info Centre. It was
founded by  Ven. Dhammavihari, formerly Professor Jotiya Dhirasekera.

The proof-reading is presently being carried out by Buddhist monks of the
Maharagama Bhikkhu Training Centre under the guidance of Ven. Dhammavihari.

Lance Cousins

MANCHESTER, UK
Email: mhcrxlc at dir.mcc.ac.uk