Muslims, was the "PC" Card

J.B. Sharma JSHARMA at Hermes.GC.PeachNet.EDU
Sun Dec 10 11:09:49 UTC 1995

Frank Conlon wrote :

Many of these people have shared with me their experiences of personal
humiliation and discrimination at the hands of the "majority"--and at the
hands of the Congress-dominated "secular state".  And one or two have
read a bit about American history, and recognize that the ironic
similarities of the ideas about "mixed loyalties" and "breeding like
bunnies" applied to them when compared to the racist and nativist ideas
that some white protestant Americans have routinely applied to immigrants
from Ireland, from Southern and Eastern Europe, from Mexico, from the "third
world", and, of course to African-Americans.

Hate and fear and discrimination do not exist in abstract, reified
conditions--their reality can only be refracted in the thoughts and
actions of individual human beings.  It is unavoidable, and it is
necessary, that we discourse about "Hindus" and "Muslims" etc., but that
ought not be the only perspective we keep in our vision.

Frank F. Conlon
----------------------------

 What you say is true, and there is no doubt that the Hindu
"majority" has inmical views of the Muslim "minority" which leads in
instances of discrimination in everyday life. However there is still
enough of a semblance of civility that life goes on for most people
of all religious persuasions as usual in India and there are no
permanent population displacements.

 On the other side of the coin in ALL of the Muslim majority areas
of the subcontinent (Pakistan, Bangladesh, Kashmir) the minorities
(mostly Hindus) have been harrased, molested, and just plain
driven out by terror. This is ethnic cleansing, and is in progress as
we speak. Three hundred thousand Kashmiri Pandits have been driven
out of their homes with little hope of ever returning. These are
folks who have undergone a heroic struggle since the 1400's to
preserve their ancient culture against virulent onslaught of Turkish
despots. In 1971, millions of terrified Hindus streamed into India
when special army units marked the Hindu homes with spray paint to be
identified for unspeakable atrocity.

 So, on one had the Hindu polity discriminates against Muslims. At
the same time it allows for Muslims to participate in Government,
Industry, Academia, Military, Judiciary etc at the highest levels. On
the other hand Muslim polity on the sub-continent has simply driven
away the minority the choice "convert, flee or die". This has been
going on for centuries. Is is any wonder that the once healthy
minority populations in Pakistan and the Kashmir valley are now 0.5%
and rapidly shrinking in Bangladesh ? The minority population in
India is stable and increasing. Does all of this say anything to us ?

 So I do agree, we must not keep only one perspective in our vision
of the sub-continent.

Regards,
J.B. Sharma