Indian History & Sangh Parivar (Was: Medieval India)

Dr. M.F. Tritsch tritsch at MZDMZA.ZDV.UNI-MAINZ.DE
Sat Dec 2 18:57:12 UTC 1995

On 2. Dec Yvette Rosser wrote:

.......deleted.....

>                                                        Like it or not, Hindutva
> and the Sangh Parivar is a popular mass movement and their views will
> demand agency   (...)   Ignoring it will only cause it to grow more
> aggressive.  Something has to give.  I don't think it will be the voters.
> BJP has 21% of the Lok Sabha seats.  21%!  In a county with more than two
> parties, this is a mandate!  We can no longer simply blast the Sangh
> Parivar, denigrating them to fascists, while lamenting the end of Indic
> civilization.

........deleted.......

Are they NOT fascists? Lets call a spade a spade! Surely Ms. Rosser
has enough experience of the indian political scene to know just what
rogues are at work, pretending to uphold hindu traditions.

Both J.B.Sharma and Yvette Rosser really try to be objective about
the situation, but the slips they make show how very difficult it
must be. J. B. Sharma refers to the "indian slaves on the slave markets of
Baghdad". But what about the indian slaves on the slave markets of
India! Was not taking slaves a regular practice among warring nations
at that time, also WITHIN India?

Suggestion: we need to distinguish between the disastrous
consequences for India if the people behind the RSS, Hindutva etc
with their fascist rhetoric gain power, and the reasons why people
accept and believe such rhetoric and vote for them. The argument that
21% of the vote commands respect is no more valid in India than it
was in pre-Nazi Germany.

Regards,

Mark Tritsch

DR. MARK F. TRITSCH      (Tel/Fax: +49 611 691497)

Institut fuer Zoologie III
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet
55099 Mainz
Germany

Schnappschuss internationale Forschungsnachrichten
Breslauer Strasse 14 b
65203 Wiesbaden
Germany