Indian History & Sangh Parivar (Was: Medieval India)

J.B. Sharma JSHARMA at Hermes.GC.PeachNet.EDU
Sat Dec 2 17:55:21 UTC 1995

Mark Tritsch Wrote :
>Both J.B. Sharma and Yvette Rosser really try to be objective about
>the situation, but the slips they make show how very difficult it
>must be.

 I did not get the entire message and so I paraphrase his referral to
slave markets in India being full of Indian slaves due to intercene
warfare; This being the reason for the "slips".
-----
 There is no tradition of slavery among the Hindus and there were no
slave markets in pre-Islamic India. There are no elaborate
prescriptions for taking slaves, codes of behavior of master and
slave, fraction of booty to be sent to the Caliph etc.

 I am not a member of Indian polity, though am a very interested
observer. If BJP are indeed facists, what does that make the
Christain Democrats who have ruled most of western Europe after the
2nd WW ?

 All fundamentalism is bad; My point is to say that there has been a
severe imbalance in the debates on this topic on Indology. Hindu's do
not have scriptural exhortation to kill non-Hindus. Children in
Madrasas all over the sub-continent are still taught that living
under the rule of Kafirs is Haram. Sensible Muslim intellectuals like
Hamid Dalwai have written that Muslims in India should give up the
concept of India being Dar-ul-Harb (land of the enemy) and not look to
west-asia for culture (where they are held in disdain). These voices
of reason are drowned out by the mullahs for whom the medevial
injuntions are unchangeable.

 I have never seen a criticism of the violent Muslim fundamentalism
on the sub-continent on this forum. Since partition, Pakistan had a
greater than 20% minority (Hindus, Sikhs, Christians). Today it is
about 0.5%. Such cahnges have occured in Bangladesh and Kashmir as
well. Once more all of this eludes the keepers of goodness like water
off of a duck !

 I do hope thatthe ideal of fairness in free speech will prevail,
and discussions of fundamentalism on the sub-continent will be of all
the parties involved. Personally, I dont care if the BJP or the
Conress wins; I do care for there to be a free and fair process where
the people can decide for themselves.

Regards,
J.B. Sharma