Brahman or Brahmin

Lance Nelson lnelson at pwa.acusd.edu
Fri Aug 18 14:59:00 UTC 1995

On Fri, 18 Aug 1995, Anthony Good wrote:

> *However, the -min ending is
> indicated to be derogatory.* I must say that, like many others, I
> have always used the -man ending.

My South Indian BrAhmaNa friends and teachers, when speaking English, use
the word "Brahmin."  I've never heard it used in a derogatory sense, has
anyone?  The -min ending is handy when one is writing in English about
VedAnta, to avoid confusion with the term "Brahman" (ultimate Reality).

Thanks to all who have responded on this question (I don't think it has
become a debate), which was prompted by a copy editor at a well-known
academic press who wanted to change my Brahmin-s to _brAhmin_: lower
case, italics, with a macron over the a.  Hmmmmmm.

Lance
Lance Nelson
Religious Studies
University of San Diego