rauravaagama

H. Isaacson ISAACSON at let.rug.nl
Thu Aug 17 16:15:32 UTC 1995

I am grateful for Dr. Ganesan's clarification about the
Civa~naanapotam.  I must point out that though Meyka.n.ta Teevar
claims to draw on the Rauravaagama, no connection between what has
been transmitted as the Raurava and the Civa~naanapotam has yet been
proved.

I quote from the introduction of the first volume of the first
edition of the Rauravaagama (Pondicherry, 1961---3 years after M.
Balasubramania Mudaliyar's death---p.xiv):

`Un des traite's classiques fondamentaux de cette e'cole [scil. le
Saivasiddhaanta du pays tamoul], le Civa~naaNapotam de Meyka.n.ta
Teevar, se pre'sente comme un de'veloppement de douze stances
sanskrites donne'es comme tire'es du Rauravaagama.  Pourtant ces
stances ne se sont jusqu'ici retrouve'es dans aucun des manuscrits de
ce texte.'

I should be interested to know how  M. Balasubramania Mudaliyar
argues; but the book you mention is not available to me.

Yours,
Dominic Goodall