CRITIQUE OF WEST IN INDIA

Frank Conlon conlon at u.washington.edu
Thu Aug 17 22:56:08 UTC 1995

Friends:

This direction of discussion is moving away from the original question,
but I am obliged to make one small amendment to Allen Thrasher's post.

While it is true that there are no substantial physical barriers once
past the Khyber Pass and Sulaiman range etc., leaving aside spurs of
other ranges and rivers, there were other constraints upon the movement
of military in the pre-20th century (at least pre mid-19th C) epoch.
Movement of conventional armies was constrained by availability of water
and fodder.  While light cavalry might presumably travel swiftly in
inhospitable country, the substantial military column with camp followers
etc. was limited.  I would reckon that it was not just a matter of habit
that two major battles in the 16th century occurred at Panipat.

Of course, Allen would be correct in pointing out that Panipat is not a
day's ride from the foot of the Khyber...

With respect to Lars Fosse's original query, my own research on a
mid-19th century Maharashtrian religious figure, Vishnbawa Brahmachari,
has dredged up evidence that in the 1850s he was already invoking the
"scientific wonders of the Vedic past" and the notion that the material
superiority of the West was consistent with the spiritual superiority of
India, which was particularly bothersome since once upon a time everyone
spoke Sanskrit and was a follower of Vedic dharm.  But, if Lars Fosse is
seeking a subtle and sophisticated set of arguments on these points, I am
afraid that neither Vishnubawa nor I can oblige.

Frank F. Conlon
Dept. of History
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195