Jainism/Buddhism in Tamilnadu

vidya at cco.caltech.edu vidya at cco.caltech.edu
Thu Aug 17 22:42:11 UTC 1995

C. A. Coleman writes:

> Has anyone ever suggested that this implied absorption of Buddhism
> into a growing fourth and fifth century Brahminic renaissance could
> be attributed to, in part, an emerging lay-buddhist ethic that
> Tathagatagarbha philosophy introduces in the third century?

I have, in a non-academic debate on the Usenet newsgroups, alt.hindu
and soc.religion.eastern. Mani Varadarajan and I were contributing to
a discussion on the various schools of Vedanta. I examined the
"pracanna bauddha" criticism against advaita, in some detail in one
posting titled Gaudapada. The tone of the discussion is somewhat
polemical in character, but in the process a few key issues were
thrashed out in great detail. My article on Gaudapada can be found at
the alt.hindu archiuves under the following URL -

http://rbhatnagar.csm.uc.edu:8080/alt_hindu/1994/msg00403.html

I am aware of one article by de la Vallee Poussin - Journal of the
Royal Asiatic Society, 1900, p. 132 - where he says "At least in some
of its ontological characteristics, vijnAnavAda is like Vedantism in

disguise." Here the shoe is put on the other foot, to make a mahAyAna
school to be "pracanna vedAnta".

Personally I have no doubt that the description of tathAgatagarbha as
a kind of personal God contributes to the absorption of Buddhism into
Hinduism, at least within India - tathAgata is endowed with power and
perfection; he has completely eliminated passion and karma and the
obscurations of kleSAvaraNa and jneyAvaraNa; he is sarvajna, and he
is sarvakArajna, having a full knowledge of the truth and the
empirical world likewise. This could be a desciption of an avatAra of
VishNu. Another important factor in this assimilation is the
popularity of vajrAyAna and yogAcAra schools, which can easily get
absorbed into a Brahminical SAktism.

> Of

> course the main problem with this suggestion entails questioning

> how much exposure the laity had to such esoteric teachings as

> tathagatagarbha

I don't see this as a major problem. We can likewise question how
much exposure the laity had to such burning questions as the old
Atman/nairAtmya debate, the doctrine of two truths of the mAdhyamika
school vs. the upanishadic doctrine of parA and aparA vidyA, and
other such esoteric teachings. The laity must have known of the early
antipathy between the Buddhist sangha and the VaidIka BrahmaNas, but
how much else did they know about the major philosophical
differences? Still, the fact remains that Buddhism had a separate
identity for a millenium or more and then more or less disappeared
from the Indian scene. The idea of tathAgata as a personal god in
tandem with the recognition of the Buddha as an avatAra surely had
much more power to absorb Buddhists into a Hindu fold, than the
supposed philosophical rapprochement that GauDapada tried to effect
in his mANDUkya kArikAs.

Regards,

S. Vidyasankar