Critique of the West in Indic literature and society

Lance Nelson lnelson at pwa.acusd.edu
Wed Aug 16 16:02:36 UTC 1995

May I suggest that those interested take a look at the following:

Dharampal.  _Bharatiya Chitta Manas and Kala_.  Translated from the Hindi
by Jitendra Bajaj.  Madras: Centre for Policy Studies, 1993.

Francis X. Clooney organized a review symposium on this volume that
appears in the current issue of _Hindu-Christian Studies Bulletin_.  The
review essay which I contributed was somewhat critical, but still the
book is interesting.  Dharampal is a historian.

To give Indology subscribers an example of Dharampal's concerns, I
reproduce a paragraph from the book:

"The self-awakening of India is bound to remain similarly elusive and
transient till we find a secure basis for a confident expression of
Indian civilization within the modern world and the modern epoch.  We
must establish a conceptual framework that makes Indian ways and
aspirations seem viable in the present, so that we do not feel compelled
or tempted to indulge in demeaning imitations of the modern world, and
the people of India do not have to suffer the humiliation of seeing their
ways and their seekings despised in their own country.  And, this secure
basis for Indian civilization, this framework for the Indian
self-awakening, has to be sought mainly within the Chitta and Kaala of
India" (16).

Though Dharampal is certainly a nationalist, he is far from being a Hindu
chauvinist.

Copies of the _Hindu-Christian Studies Bulletin_ may be obtained from:
Society for Hindu-Christian Studies, c/o Centre for Studies in Religion
and Society University of Victoria, P.O. Box 3045, Victoria, B.C., Canada
V8W 3P4.

Best to all,

Lance
Lance Nelson