Kumara Kasyapa

Nobumi Iyanaga GGA03414 at niftyserve.or.jp
Sat Aug 12 06:42:00 UTC 1995

James McDermott wrote:
>In a footnote to his translation of
>the Abhidharmakosa, Louis de la Vallee Poussin, citing
>Samghabhadra refers to a sutra in which the events
>surrounding the birth of Kumara Kasyapa are described and
>in which a motif of embryo transplant plays a significant
>role. Samghabhadra notes that the Sthaviras deny the
>possibility of such an occurrence. And, indeed, the Pali
>versions of the story of Kumara Kassapa found in the Jataka
>and Dhammapada commentaries lack the transplant motif.
>Given the resources available to me in Buffalo, I have been
>unable to track down the version of the Kumara Kasyapa
>story to which la Vallee Poussin/Samghabhadra refer which
>includes the transplant motif. Can any kind soul provide me
>with a reference and, if possible, Sanskrit text of the
>relevant passage? Thanks.

Dear Mr. McDermott
The reference of Samghabhadra is: Taisho XXIX 1562 xliii p. 588c, line 9-15.
I am sorry, I could not find the "suutra" referred by Samghabhadra.  Anyway, I

could not find any relevant reference in the Chinese commentaries, by Puguang
and by Fabao, Taisho XLI 1821 xviii p. 279b line 3 sq., and Taisho XLI 1822
xviii p. 680a line 4 sq.; and there is nothing either in the Dictionary of
Buddhist Proper Names of AKANUMA Chizen, s.v. Kumaara Kassapa.  We should
perhaps search in some aberrant traditions of Aagama, or Jaataka or Vinaya...
(probably in Chinese).
I hope that this can be of some help for you...
Best wishes.
Nobumi Iyanaga
Tokyo,
Japan