Kumara Kasyapa

James McDermott MCDERMOT at wehle.canisius.edu
Thu Aug 3 13:03:06 UTC 1995

In a footnote to his translation of the Abhidharmakosa, Louis de la
Vallee Poussin, citing Samghabhadra refers to a sutra in which the
events surrounding the birth of Kumara Kasyapa are described and in
which a motif of embryo transplant plays a significant role.
Samghabhadra notes that the Sthaviras deny the possibility of such an
occurrence. And, indeed, the Pali versions of the story of Kumara
Kassapa found in the Jataka and Dhammapada commentaries lack the
transplant motif.
Given the resources available to me in Buffalo, I have been unable to
track down the version of the Kumara Kasyapa story to which la Vallee
Poussin/Samghabhadra refer which includes the transplant motif. Can
any kind soul provide me with a reference and, if possible, Sanskrit
text of the relevant passage? Thanks.

                                                   --Jim McDermott