survey on indian information

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at ucl.ac.uk
Tue Aug 1 10:43:55 UTC 1995

Someone called "Antoine Rubini" with the address
"antoine at satyam.satyam.com" has shamelessly taken advantage of the
INDOLOGY mailing list to promote a commercial service and to try to get
valuable commercial information about you -- including your salary --
free of cost to himself, by distributing a detailed financial and
commercial questionnaire.

This disgraceful abuse of the academic network group INDOLOGY is utterly
unacceptable, and is to be deplored as unethical, insensitive, boorish,
and ultimately self-defeating.  I hope you would not consider using this
"Satyam" service after witnessing this crass behaviour, and that you
will spread the word amongst your friends and colleagues that this is a
service to be avoided: if Satyam are capabable of such breaches of
network ethics, would you really consider giving them your credit card
details?

I apologize on behalf of INDOLOGY for the waste of your time, mailbox
space, and money, that Satyam has caused.  There is nothing I can do
about it, but if this kind of stupid network abuse becomes more
frequent, the terms and conditions of membership and posting-privileges
for INDOLOGY will have to become more restrictive.

I would encourage you -- if you have the patience -- to send email to
"Antoine" complaining about the misuse of precious network resources.
This message is being copied to the "antoine at satyam.satyam.com" address.

--

Dominik Wujastyk,
Wellcome Institute,