SYMPOSIUM ANNOUNCEMENT (9/29/94)

David Magier magier at columbia.edu
Tue Sep 27 19:37:15 UTC 1994

The Asia Society has asked me to post this announcement to these
listservs for them. Please correspond (by phone as below) directly with
The Asia Society with questions, rather than with me.
David Magier (South Asia Gopher)

---------------cut here--------------------------------

CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT:

South Asia & the United States After the Cold War:
An International Symposium

Thursday, September 29, 1994
9:00am to 6:15pm

THE ASIA SOCIETY
725 Park Avenue
New York, NY

for info, call Katie Simpson at 212-288-6400, extension 292.

The Asia Society sponsored a study mission to South Asia that visited the
region from March 22 - April 8, 1994 and which has just published its
report. The study mission, which consisted of thirteen prominent
Americans, analyzed U.S. policies toward South Asia, sought South Asian
views on those policies, and formulated an assessment of the adequacy of
those policies and changes which may be needed. This symposium's primary
purpose is to bring the results of the study mission and sponses to the
study mission report from South Asian participants to a broad public in
order to encourage wider debate about the American relationship with
South Asia.

AGENDA

9:00-10:00  The Future of U.S.-South Asian Relations
               Marshall M. Bouton
               Study Mission Member and The Asia Society, New York

               O. Peter Sherwood
               Study Mission Member and Kalkines, Arky, Zali & Bernstein

10:00-11:00  Keynote Address
               H. E. Salman Khurshid
               Minister of External Affairs of India

11:00-11:15  Coffee Break

11:15-12:00  Critical Issues in U.S.-South Asian Relations I:
             Development and the Environment in South Asia
               Qazi Faruque Ahmed
               Proshika MUK, Dhaka

12:00-12:45 Critical Issues in U.S.-South Asian Relations II:
            Women in Society and Development
               Raunaq Jahan
               Columbia University

               Khushi Kabir
               Nijera Kori, Dhaka

12:45-2:30  Lunch
               Mahbubul Haq, UNDP

2:30-3:30   Critical Issues in U.S.-South Asian Relations III:
            The Resurgent Economies of South Asia
               Isher J. Ahluwalia
               Centre for Policy Research

3:30-3:45   Coffee Break

3:45-5:00   Critical Issues in U.S.-South Asian Relations IV:
            Regional Security
               Shelton Kodikara
               Regional Center for Strategic Studies, Colombo

               Sumit Ganguli
               Hunter College

               Shankar Bajpai
               Brandeis University

5:00-6:15   Critical Issues in U.S.-South Asian Relations V:
            Democracy, Governance and Human Rights
               Philip Oldenburg
               Columbia University

               Soli Sorabjeei