Aryans and Dravidians--Change of course requested

BAPAT JB Jayant.B.BAPAT at sci.monash.edu.au
Tue Sep 27 14:58:10 UTC 1994

Dear fellow list-members
Since I raised this issue some time ago, there has been a large
volume of mail on this network and a small amount of it has been
quite useful to me. I am very grateful to those people who contributed
to the discussion and suggested reference works that I could peruse.
I am sorry that some of the discussion has produced some
unpleasantness and a rather unsavoury and totally unnecessary
pollution of the normally pristine academic information-exchange.Such,
unfortunately is life.
Having perused many of the available works, I have come to the
conclusion that:1)There is a reasonably serious challenge to the
Aryan invasion theory 2)Unfortunately the proponents of the challenge
themselves have no firm conclusive evidence to justify their case and
3) This whole area is in need of some totally unbiased and thorough
research. I STAND CORRECTED and apologise for my naive summation.
My original point however was somewhat different. In my researches
I have encountered this perception on the part of the present day
Marathi Brahmins that they are Aryans, Shiva is a non-Aryan god and
the south Indians are non-Aryans. I find it a bit simplistic to blame
this on the teachings of the wicked British (or the Poms as we fondly
call them in Oz.) Wrong as it is, where did this perception come from?
               And it does not pertain only to the Marathi Brahmins
any way. We all know how the DMK in the south burned the Ramayana
some years ago. My trips to North India have also shown that the same
thinking as the Marathi Brahmins persists there as well.
              This apparent rivalry between the North and the South
must surely predate poor old British.
              What is the reason behind this phenomenon? Is there
any research in this area? These are the questions I need to answer
in order to understand and explain the strange case of the Temple-
priest in Maharashtra.
   If I am stirring another hornet's nest, my sincere apologies.
Jayant Bapat
Dr J.B. Bapat                                     Phone (03)9054510
Chemistry Department                              Fax   (03)9054597
Monash University           e-mail:jayant.b.bapat at sci.monash.edu.au
Clayton, Victoria
Australia

_