Aryans and Dravidians

phil013 at csc.canterbury.ac.nz phil013 at csc.canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Sep 20 02:30:09 UTC 1994

Jonathan Silk has suggested that we close the discussion now to
avoide further acrimony.  While I sympathize with his motivations, I
would like to keep it open for just a bit longer.

Originally it was claimed that "new evidence" of some kind called
the whole theory of Aryan migration into question.  But it turned
out that there wasn't much, if any, new evidence of a scholarly
sort, and in any case that most of us have already aborbed the
implications of the evidence (e.g. that the Indus Valley
Civilization was not suddenly destroyed by waves of attacking
Aryans).

Perhaps all the facts are not in yet.  Is there indeed any new or
noteworthy evidence about Aryan origins, migrations, etc., that
hasn't yet been discussed?  Would anyone care to summarize it for
non-experts like myself?

If there really isn't much in the way of evidence, then an important
question arises: where are these assertions (about "new" evidence
calling the Aryan migration hypothesis into question, about the
evils of colonial and neo-colonial scholarship, etc.) being made,
and why?  These are matters of cultural and representational
politics, and they seem to me to be eminently worthy of debate, even
if (or better, "especially because") they  tend to excite rather
more passion than philological discussion.

Bo Sax
Head of Religious Studies
University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800