New books on Tamil culture

Mani Varadarajan mani at srirangam.esd.sgi.com
Wed Oct 19 17:33:40 UTC 1994

nas_ng at lms420.jsc.nasa.gov writes:
> These are some recent books pertaining to Tamil culture.
> Interesting contributions in different fields. I thought

To these I should add the following fascinating book:

"The Vernacular Veda", by Vasudha Narayanan. University of
South Carolina Press, 1994.

The author discusses how the Tiruvaymoli, a poem of over a
thousand verses by the 7th-8th century saint Nammalvar,
attained the status of Veda (in the true sense) in the
Srivaishnava community.  She also discusses some of the
sociocultural implications of this, and how the work is
used in liturgy and ceremony in the major temples of South
India.

Mani