nidhi

R.Mayer at ukc.ac.uk R.Mayer at ukc.ac.uk
Fri Oct 14 13:33:16 UTC 1994

Jan Gonda, in his volume "The Savajajn~as" (Gonda 1965:183-193) discusses
the concepts of nidhi and nidhipaa, as cited in the Kaus'ika Suutra and
the Gr.hyasuutras. He describes nidhi as something of spiritual value
deposited in a spiritual realm. This was guarded by protectors called
nidhipaa, whose function was to ensure that only those who had deposited
the nidhi in the first place, or those for whom it was intended, could
eventually reclaim it, when they arrived in the spiritual realm in person.
Agni, Prajaapati, or Br.haspati would often act as nidhipaa. What I can
not understand from Gonda is the *context* of these categories.
Can any learned list members help me?
Also, can anyone give me any more information or references to nidhi
and nidhipaa?
I am particularly interested if these categories of nidhi and nidhipaa
ever had a role in scriptural transmission, as they eventually came
to do in some Buddhist texts. In a Buddhist context, they seem to
be as much to do with scriptural revelation as with transmission.
Regards to all,
Rob