Sanskrit to be an elective subject in schools

Greg Eichler geichle at eis.calstate.edu
Sun Oct 9 17:08:35 UTC 1994

Dear Indologists,

I am an absolute novice in this area. Therefore, I can ask the following
question without oo much embarassment:

Why do some Indians object to Sanskrit's being named the official
language of India? Is it not 'better' than English, which is a totally
alien tongue on the Subcontinent?

I appreciate your replies.

Gregor
   Gregor-Paul Eichler              | geichle at eis.calstate.edu
   Chair - Foreign Languages        | geichle at sierra.fwl.edu
   George Washington High School    | 72143.3621 at compuserve.com
   600 Thirty-Second Avenue         | (415) 750 - 8400, ext. 3317
   San Francisco, CA 94121          | (415) 861 - 2379 [home]