nature of list

J.B. Sharma JSHARMA at Hermes.GC.PeachNet.EDU
Sun Nov 13 21:12:12 UTC 1994

 Alan Entwistle wrote:
 numismatic evidence and Vayupurana (99.383) do suggest Mathura was
held by a succession of rulers who styled themselves "Naga", with
names such as Ganapatinagaand Sharvanaga, who became feudatories of
the Guptas. I'm also not sure what is meant by "Buddhist Kushans" -
The last Kushana to rule at Mathura was named Vasudeva.
________
 Notwithstanding the chagrin on the books I cited, I do appreciate
Alan's response to my question. If there are other summative works
of the detailed history of India from 900 to the 1700 AD I would like
to know of them.
 I have a book by K.P Jayaswal "History of India, 150-350 A.D."
(1933). He does quote the historyof Kashmir "Rajatrangini" which
speaks of the Kushan rule. According to it Buddhism had been imposed
in Kashmir, and the worship of the Nagas had been stopped by the
Turushkas. Gonorda III restored the Naga worship abolished by Hushka,
Jushka and Kanishka. The book also qoutes from the Visnu, Vayu,
Bhagvat Puranas, and numismatic evidence abou the Naga dynasty; The
Bharasiva dynasty began with Nava Naga which the author says heralded
the post Saka-Kushan Hindu revival ultimately carried on by the
Guptas.
All the best,
J.B. Sharma