Location of Kamasutram mss.

J. Daniel White FRS00JDW at UNCCVM.UNCC.EDU
Wed Jul 13 21:08:22 UTC 1994

I am now assembling mss. for a critical edition of the Kamasutram with a new
English translation.  Having noted the accessibility of most non-published mss.
in Indian archives, libraries, etc., I am now trying to locate the availability
of the same in museums and odther collections in the U.S. and Europe.  If you
know of such holdings, please contact me at my e-mail address.  I am interested
in Sanskrit mss. which do and do not contain Indian miniature paintings, line
drawings, etc.  THANKS!

> From THRASHER at MAIL.LOC.GOV 16 1994 Jul GMT 15:33:15
Date: 16 Jul 1994 15:33:15 GMT
From: ALLEN W THRASHER <THRASHER at MAIL.LOC.GOV>
Subject: HELP WITH BHOJPURI TRACT

          We have here at the Library of Congress a Bhojpuri tract from the
          Baptist  Mission   Press,  Calcutta,  dated   1909.    There   is
          documentation along with  it, possibly by mistake, indicating the
          text  may  have something to  do  with  Sir George Grierson.  The
          script is Bhojpuri which our catalogers are unable to read, and I
          cannot find  a  table  of Bhojpuri Devanagari equivalents.  Would
          anyone be  able  to  make anything of  this  if  I  send  them  a
          photocopy (8 short pp.), and to transliterate it according to the
          LC-ALA table for Hindi, which  I  can supply?  I  would  be  most
          grateful.

          Allen W. Thrasher
          Senior Reference Librarian
          Southern Asia Section
          Library of Congress
          Washington, DC 20540-4744
          tel. (202) 707-5600
          fax  (202) 707-1724
          Internet: thrasher at mail.loc.gov

          Any opinions expressed are mine and  not those of  the Library of
          Congress or its management.