BhuSuNDi etc.

carlo della casa giuseppe at imiucca.csi.unimi.it
Sun Dec 18 10:12:22 UTC 1994

 Among the numerous weapons found in classical sanskrit literature, I am trying to focus my attention on the bhuSuNDi or bhuSaNDi - other alternate spellings occur. It is found many times in the Mahabharata (a complete list is now very easy to obtain thanks to prof. Tokunaga's e-text), and - strangely enough - not once in the Ramayana. Van Buitenen translates the term as "flame thrower", though not consistently so.
 Indeed, the BhuSuNDi - as described for instance by the poetess Gauri in two stanzas of subhaaSita - does seem like a rather peculiar implement of destruction:mention is made of its fiery balls and venomous mouth. Gauri is probably a fairly late poetess, and I am wondering whether she is describing some kind of hand-held firearm, or a more traditional means of offence, like the "hundred-slayer", zataghnii, with which it sometimes appears in weapons lists.
 Does anyone have any suggestions?

 Season's greetings and goodwill to all,
 despite the belligerent object of my query!

 Alex Passi
 U. of Bologna
 giuseppe at imiucca.csi.unimi.it