peacocks and poison

Michael J. Sweet msweet at facstaff.wisc.edu
Tue Aug 30 04:25:24 UTC 1994

Does anyone know of a written source for the belief that peacocks are able
to digest poison in general, and black aconite in particular.  Have seen
this in Tibetan texts, and trying to track down its Indic origin.  Two
knowledgable people have said this is a common belief in S. India, perh.
related to Siva Nilakantha and the cult of Kartikkeya, but can't cite any
textual origin.  Any ideas?  Thanks.
                                          Michael

Michael Sweet
University of Wisconsin--Madison