outline fonts and encodings

Michael Everson EVERSON at IRLEARN.UCD.IE
Thu Jul 1 23:24:29 UTC 1993

On Wed, 30 Jun 93 22:01:01 BST <JHUBBARD at smith.smith.edu> said:

>By the by, I have also had the same experience trying to take PC Word
>Perfect documents to Word Perfect on the Mac-- those damn friendly machines
>re-map for you. I can imagine that for some folks it actually works (given
>that a French accent, say, is in a different upper ASCII slot in the PC
>Roman 8 character set than whatever the Mac uses), but it drove me nuts.
>Again, I simply gave up. Perhaps if somebody understands the mapping a
>table could be devised to translate the translated text!

OK, Jamie. You use a PC, I use a Mac. Can you use the WNRI fonts?
Will you convert some 7-bit text I send to 8-bit in WordPerfect
and send them zipped (or on disk) to me so I can see how the Mac
remaps them? Then I can remap them _for_ the Mac and we'll never
hence have this problem.

Michael Everson
School of Architecture, UCD; Richview, Clonskeagh; Dublin 14; E/ire
Phone: +353 1 706-2745  Fax: +353 1 283-8908  Home: +353 1 478-2597