CODES IN INDIA

Dominik Wujastyk D.Wujastyk at ucl.ac.uk
Tue Feb 9 12:05:45 UTC 1993

In Message Mon, 08 Feb 93 15:43:09 GMT,
  ALLEN W THRASHER <THRASHER at MAIL.LOC.GOV> writes:

>          Has  anyone  done   any  investigations  of  codes,  cyphers,  or
>          cryptographic  scipts   or   other  cryptographic  phenomena   in
>          traditional India?

I was immediately put in mind of Col. Sleeman's decipherment of the secret
language of the Thugs, which he wrote about in 1836 in his book
Ramaseeana.

I also seem to remember that there's a little about Buddhist tantric
"sandhaabhaa.saa" in Agehananda Bharati's book on Tantra.  There may well
be a more developed literature on this, but it's not my field.  I read
Bharati's book a long time ago, as an academic tourist, so to speak.

Dominik
Dominik Wujastyk                                  d.wujastyk at ucl.ac.uk
                                                       +44 71 611 8467