Copper Head

RICK ASHER ASHER at vx.cis.umn.edu
Mon Feb 8 15:33:39 UTC 1993

I was out of town when the discussion of a copper image was
posted on the network.  Apparently the image was dated 5200-5710 B.P.
(Before Present) by a laboratory in Zurich.  I am an art historian
and can't imagine what tests they might have applied.  Organic material
can be dated by c-14 and other means, but unless the image had a core
that included organic material, as often they do, then it would be
impossible to assign a date on the basis of any scientific test I know.
In any event, the date would not provide proof of Aryan presence.  The
Harappans, for example, made ample copper objects, which we still have,
as did late Harappans, even in Central India, for example, some objects
found at Daimabad.  Nor do I think it's possible to provide compelling
evidence that the head represents Vasishtha since we don't have others
representing him; a comparison with a written/oral description is just not
very persuasive.  I've not read the article and certainly plan to do so,
but for now I'm skeptical.  Rick Asher