Indian script computing info.

ucgadkw at ucl.ac.uk ucgadkw at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Dec 15 14:24:49 UTC 1993

The following collection of information appeared in comp.fonts today,
and I thought INDOLO-GISTS might be interested:

Newsgroups: comp.fonts
From: oracle at wl.aecl.ca
Subject: Information on GIST Writing System For Indic Languages
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1993 15:03:45 GMT

Hello Friends,

	I have seen several queries regarding Indian Language Fonts and
Script systems on the Net. Being myself interested in this topic, and led
by Mr. Abhijit Datta's message that such "Professional Quality" software
is avaialable from The Government of India sponsered Research Institute
named C-DAC, I have contacted them to obtain details. They have provided
the following information about their software and hardware products which
I am putting on the net with their permission for the benefit of other people.
Below is the communication of their permission, which also gives contact
address if you want to obtain their products. (PLEASE NOTE THAT I HAVE NO
CONTACTS OR INTEREST IN C-DAC and I am putting this information on the net
for "purely" information sake. - K.Desikachary)
	Dear Mr. Krishna Desikachary,
		Thanks for your keen interest in Gist-products. It will be
	really nice, if you put the provided information on the internet, so
	that interested people can contact us directly. Give the contact
	email address as follows :

		Ms. Mita Karajagi,
		Gist (Marketing),
		email: mita at parcom.ernet.in

		Once again thanks for the nice gesture. Kindly let me know
	if you require any other information.

	-Mita Karajagi

	=====  INFORMATION ABOUT GIST SET OF PRODUCTS =====

  The synopsis of the  products  offered  are  given below:

HARDWARE

GIST  CARD - Is a plug-in card for IBM PC, which allows existing  character
oriented  software packages to be used along with any of the  Indian,  Perso-
Arabic, Thai, Tibetan, Sinhalese or European scripts.

GIST  TERMINAL  - Is compatible to VT 100/200/300, and allows  the  GIST
Scripts to be used along with the existing software on multi-user computers,
with operating systems such as UNIX/XENIX.

ROBUST  PC-AT : is a 386/486 PC with a VGA monochrome monitor. It  has
been  designed  for  working in extreme environments,  and  has  an  Internal
maintenance-free battery which would power the unit for three hours.

GIST  PRINTER SPOOLER : It receives characters through a serial  or  parallel
port,  and prints them using the graphics-mode of a dot-matrix printer. It  off
loads the host computer from script printing burden.

CGIST AND PAL OVERLAY CARDS - CGIST card i a plug-in card for IBM-PCs
which  generates  a  high resolution PAL display for  TV  monitors.  The  PAL
overlay card allows the display generated by the CGIST card to be  overlayed
on an external video.

SOFTWARE

APEX LANGUAGE PROCESSOR (ALP) - Allows typing of all the Indian scripts
through  the common INSCRIPT keyboard overlay.It has Word Star  compati-
bility  commands, and provides WYSIWYG printouts on dot-matrix and  Laser
printers.

APEX  LANGUAGE  PROCESSOR  STARTUP (ALPS) - It is  identical  to  ALP,
except it does not allow edited files to be saved and does not support  spell-
checking  facility.  It  contains all the scripts, making  it  possible  to
browse through a text file prepared through ALP and even print it.

ISFOC SCRIPT MANAGER (ISM) - Allows Indian scripts to be typed using the
INSCRIPT  keyboard,  within any package running  under  MS-WINDOWS.  A
variety  of type-faces are available for each script, along their matching
English counterparts.

TRANSNAME - Allows conversion of a database containing names in  English
to its equivalent in any of the Indian scripts. It consults a comprehensive
list of English/Indian script names for achieving this.

CAPTION EDITOR - Allows creation of color caption for video display,  which
integrate  Indian scripts and Graphics. A variety of font sizes and  styles
are available.

LANGUAGE  ENVIRONMENT  INDEPENDENT  PUBLISHER  (LEAP)  -  It  is   a
complete  desk  top publishing package tightly integrated with  ISM  allowing
the  usage  of all Indian script. All the ISFOC fonts available  with  ISM
have also been incorporated into it.

VIDEO WORKS SYSTEMS

LIPS RECEIVER - When connected between a VCR and a TV,allows a user to
select the language subtitles available on the tape. The subtitles are recorded
in a manner that they are not normally visible.

LIPS  CREATION STATION -Based on the Robust PC-At. It allows  interactive
creation  of  subtitles  for a video, using a normal VCR  and  a  TV.  Different
languages,  subtitles  floppies can be later merged to make  a  LIPS  subtitled
video tape.

CAPTION  STATION  - Allows creation of captions for video, in  several  lan-
guages,  with a WordStar compatible interface. Captions are displayed  using
high -resolution fonts, in several type-faces and type-styles.

Please find below a pointwise reply to your questionaire :

1.  For working in Indian languages on a 486 based PC running  Microsoft
Window  3.1 you could use ISM package.

2.  It supports postscript printers.

3.  The entire HPLJ series is supported.

4.  ISM supports all Indian Languages.

5.  The pricing structure for ISM is given below.

ISM & ALP Single Script package 	$ 445
(For any one Indian script,
 Roman  and ALP for Roman
 and the selected script)

ISM & ALP Multi Script package 		$ 860
(For any two Indian Scripts,
 Roman and ALP for Roman and
 the selected Indian scripts)

 ISM Add-on Script package 		$ 75
(For any one Indian script)

Lan Version and Site-Lock options are also available.

6.  You could procure them from our distributors in U.K. The address is given
below.  You  can  get in touch with us for  the  procurement  as well.  Please
send a demand draft payable to CDAC along with the order.

Mr.Richard Raby
LINGUA LANGUAGE SERVICES
63rd Woodhead Road, Holmfirth
HUDDERSFIELD HD7 1PR;
U.K.
Tel:(+44-484) 686396
Fax: 687320

Trust you find the above in order. For further details please get in touch with
me.

With Regards

-Mita Karajagi.

(Note from KD. Although you can get these products from UK, C-DAC prefers
 that you contact it first, if I interpret Ms. Karajagi's message correctly.)

----
Dominik