posting request

Chris Wooff QQ43 at UK.AC.LIVERPOOL
Mon Apr 27 14:14:12 UTC 1992

************************** Original message *****************************
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1992 07:36 EST
From: DELAHUNT at EDU.NYU.ACFcluster
Subject: posting request
To: qq43 at uk.ac.liverpool

Dear Chris,

I am a recent subscriber to INDOLOGY.  If appropriate, would you mind posting
the following query to the list?  Thank you. -- R. Scott deLahunta

Can anyone on this discussion list illuminate for me contemporary roles and
representations of the Vidusaka (clown of Sanskrit drama)?  For example - I
know that the Vidusaka is a central character in the Kutiyattam of Kerala, but
wonder if he can be found as a character in any of the shadow puppetry of
Southern India?  In addition, I would like to know if iconic representations
exist of the Vidusaka (similar to the ones which exist for Semar, clown of
Indonesian Wayang Kulit).

I am currently a graduate student at NYU and writing a paper on the Vidusaka.
I have found plenty of history (natyasastra, etc.) and dramatic analysis of
this character, but little of current socio-cultural significance.

Please respond to me directly, thank you.

R. Scott deLahunta
79 Clinton St., #17
New York, NY 10002
212-533-8019 (h)