[INDOLOGY] The Ḍākinījālasaṃvarārṇava tantra?

Westin Harris wlharris at ucdavis.edu
Sun Sep 29 01:24:28 UTC 2024

Greetings Indologists,

I am currently working on some Sanskrit and Tibetan material associated
with the Six [Vajra]vārāhī Scriptures (phag mo gzhung drug) and the
Threefold Vārāhī Cycle of the Chel Tradition (dPyal lugs phag mo skor
gsum). Many of the texts associate themselves with one
*Ḍākiṇī-jāla-saṃvar-ārṇava-tantra (mkha' 'gro drwa ba sdom pa rgya mtsho'i
rgyud).

Can anyone tell me more about this (attested or imagined) source text?
Perhaps it is one and the same as the (equally enigmatic) Saṃvarārṇava?

In her opus on Vajrayoginī, English (pp. 17, 52) mentions two brief
references to the Saṃvarārṇavatantra among her Vajrayoginī/Vajravārāhī
sources, but without any further elaboration. Moreover, in his CE of Chp.
15 of the Ḍākārṇavatantra, Sugiki (p. 3n1) notes the mention of six Arṇava
texts (including Saṃvarārṇava) in a colophon to the Ḍākārṇava. However, he
says, "Most likely, the Six Oceans are imaginary root scriptures."

Besides these two references (English and Sugiki), can anyone point me
towards more leads regarding the *Ḍākiṇījālasaṃvarārṇava / Saṃvarārṇava?

Thank you.

*Sincerely,*

*Westin Harris*
Ph.D. Candidate
Study of Religion
University of California, Davis
https://religionsgrad.ucdavis.edu/people/westin-harris
<https://religions.ucdavis.edu/people/westin-harris>

2021 Dissertation Fellow,
The Robert H. N. Ho Family Foundation Program in Buddhist Studies

Sarva Mangalam.