[INDOLOGY] Yogavidyā Online Conference

Seth Powell seth at yogicstudies.com
Fri Sep 13 19:27:26 UTC 2024

Dear all,

With apologies for cross-promoting—we are pleased to bring to your attention the following online conference hosted by Yogic Studies.

October 11 - 13, 2024

Yogavidyā Conference 2024

The past twenty-five years has witnessed remarkable growth in the academic field of Yoga Studies, with pioneering new research that has in many cases turned our conventional understanding of yoga "on its head." This 3-day online conference aims to survey and showcase much of this exciting research for the broader yoga public. Featuring talks from over 25 of the world's leading yoga scholars, and drawing across the disciplines of Philology, Religious Studies, Anthropology, Art History, Sociology, and more—this conference will shine new light on yoga's past and present.

Over the course of three full days we will explore a wide range of topics including—the historical roots of yoga, early and lesser-known yoga texts, Buddhist meditation manuals, yoga within the Tantras, cakras and the subtle body, yoga and alchemy, yoga as taught within Sufism, Sikhism, and Jainism, new insights from yoga philology, the roots of Haṭhayoga, sculpture and iconography, the role of the scholar-practitioner, the imbrication of yoga, religion, and politics, and so much more.

Participants will walk away with a deeper understanding of the historical and cultural roots of yoga in India, the vast diversity of yoga traditions, unique insight into the world of academic research, as well as critical tools for thinking about the contemporary issues facing yoga teachers and practitioners today.

The event will be held online on Zoom and is free to register.

https://www.yogicstudies.com/yogavidya-2024

We hope to see many of you there!

—

Seth Powell