[INDOLOGY] List of paninian equivalents of western grammatical terms for sanskrit

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 03:01:16 UTC 2024

> What resources are there for an english speaker to learn Paninian grammar
and how to use it.

--- https://archive.org/details/ashtadhyayi/ashtadhyayi0/

https://archive.org/compress/ashtadhyayi/formats=TEXT%20PDF,IMAGE%20CONTAINER%20PDF&file=/ashtadhyayi.zip

On Sun, Sep 8, 2024 at 5:42 AM Antonia Ruppel via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Sept 2024 at 01:35, Harry Spier via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>
>> What resources are there for an english speaker to learn Paninian grammar
>> and how to use it.
>>  I'm aware of works on  Pāniṇian grammar  in english:
>> 1) The Laghukaumudī of Varadarāja translated by James Ballantyne written
>> in 1849
>> 2) The Siddhānta-kaumudī translated by Chandra Vasu over 2300 pages.
>> 3)  Pāniṇi, His Work and Its Traditions, vol. 1 background and
>> introduction by George Cardona
>>

> I've always found Saroja Bhate's Pāṇini (Makers of Indian Literature,
> Sahitya Akademi) excellent in how it clearly spells out all the basics:
>
> https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.204734
>
> It's the book I send everyone to who wants to get started with Pāṇini, but
> does not have a teacher.
>
> –Antonia
>

>> Thanks,
>> Harry Spier

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.
Dean, IndicA
BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra
BoS Kavikulaguru Kalidasa Sanskrit University, Ramtek, Maharashtra
BoS Veda Vijnana Gurukula, Bengaluru.
Member, Advisory Council, Veda Vijnana Shodha Samsthanam, Bengaluru
Former Senior Professor of Cultural Studies,
Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.