[INDOLOGY] Many-armed gods

Joanna Jurewicz j.jurewicz at uw.edu.pl
Sat May 25 21:20:51 UTC 2024

According to my cognitive approach, it is a conceptual blend which fuses
various activities of God/s and in this way the artists try to express
their manifestation beyond time-space limits, i. e. the
viśvarūpa manifestation (rūpa means not only "form, shape", but also "deed"
(karman), see BU 1.4.7:  tad dhedaṃ tarhy avyākṛtam āsīt | tan *nāmarūpābhyām
eva vyākriyatāsau nāmāyam idaṃrūpa* iti | tad idam apy etarhi nāmarūpābhyām
eva vyākriyata asau nāmāyam idaṃrūpa iti | sa eṣa iha praviṣṭa ā
nakhāgrebhyo yathā kṣuraḥ kṣuradhāne 'vahitaḥ syād viśvambharo vā
viśvambharakulāye | taṃ na paśyanti | akṛtsno hi saḥ *prāṇann* eva prāṇo
nāma bhavati | *vadan* vāk *paśyaṃś* cakṣuḥ *śṛṇvañ* chrotraṃ *manvāno*
manaḥ | tāny asyaitāni *karmanāmāny eva* |)

Conceptual blends integrate concepts relating to disparate experiences,
which often are in opposition to everyday cognition and experience of the
world, and are thus suitable for describing an absolute reality that exists
outside of time and space and manifests itself in them. Each arm expresses
one activity, in the blend (especially a visual blend) we get access to all
of them.

Regards,

Joanna

---

Prof. dr hab. Joanna Jurewicz

Katedra Azji Południowej /Chair of South Asia Studies

Wydział Orientalistyczny / Faculty of Oriental Studies

Uniwersytet Warszawski /University of Warsaw

ul. Krakowskie Przedmieście 26/28

00-927 Warszawa , Poland

Członek Academia Europaea

Przewodnicząca Rady Programowej Festiwalu Nauki

Department of Linguistidcs and Modern Languages

College of Human Sciences,UNISA, Pretoria, RSA

Member of Academia Europaea

Chairperson of the Science Festival Programme Council

https://uw.academia.edu/JoannaJurewicz

pt., 17 maj 2024 o 14:04 Rolf Heinrich Koch via INDOLOGY <