[INDOLOGY] Analogues to Anselm's Ontological Arguments in Indian Philosophy?

Jeffery Long dharmaprof108 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 24 13:45:46 UTC 2024

Dear Dmitry, Philipp, Matthew, and Howard,

Thank you, Dmitry and Philipp, for pointing to these further resources. Dmitry, the material you have shared is particularly apt. I have been working with Jain claims about omniscience. While I have yet to find an outright statement of the metaphysical necessity of the existence of at least one omniscient being, I have found some that come close. I am working on a semi-constructive piece regarding whether anekāntavāda necessitates an omniscient perspective (and, by extension, an entity that holds that perspective). I have also long been interested in Anselm’s arguments and I see some mutual relevance among the traditions on this topic.

Matthew and Howard, I am gratified to see my question leading to such an interesting dialogue. You have both made points that are helpful to my thought process, and hopefully of interest to others as well.

With my gratitude and anticipation of where the discussion will lead next,

Jeff