[INDOLOGY] Classical Indian musical theory

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 05:48:13 UTC 2024

https://archive.org/details/HistoryOfIndianMusicBySambamoorthy

*History of Indian Music by Sambamoorthy *
by Sambamoorthy
South Indian Music (6 Books)
P Sambamurthy, The Indian Music Publishing House, 2002, pbk, xxxiv, 1815
p, tables

*Contents:* Book. I: 1. Introduction. 2. Musicography. 3. Technical terms.
4. Vocalises. 5. Sapta Tala Alankaras. 6. Acoustics. 7. Structure of
Alankaras. 8. Concert programme; some underlying principles. 9. Musical
wealth of India. Appendix: Svarajnanam exercises. Questions.

Book. II: 1. Raga. 2. Tala. 3. Musical form. 4. The 35 Alankaras :
additional Alankaras. 5. Gitas: 1. Jatisvaras. 2. Svarajatis. 6. Acoustics.
7. Technical terms. Appendices: 1. Manufacture of musical instruments. 2.
Varga vadyas. 3. Yazh. 4. Vocal music vs instrumental music. 5. Raga rupa
sanchari; Huseni raga. Questions.

Book. III: 1. Raga. 2. The 72 Melakartas. 3. Janya Ragas: computation. 4.
Raga Lakshana. 5. Tala. 6. Musical form. 7. Musical form (cont.). 8. Folk
music. 9. Musical instruments. 10. Sangita Mela—orchestra. 11. Musical
compositions (Lakshana gita and Tana varnas). 12. Technical terms. 13.
Description of Ragas. Appendix: Arohana and Avarohana of ragas. Questions.
Musical aphorism. Sutra Gitas. Model appreciation essays. Analytical and
synthetic portrayal of Ragas.

Book. IV: 1. Monodharma sangita. 2. Pallavi. 3. Svara kalpana. 4. Raga
classification in ancient music. 5. 22 Srutis. 6. Gamakas. 7. Tala. 8.
Musical form. 9. Obsolete forms. 10. Style in music and musical
compositions. 11. Contemporary music. 12. Contemporary composers. 13. The
influences of exotic music on the development of South Indian music. 14.
Prosody. 15. Kachcheri dharma. 16. Comparative music. 17. Raga lakshana.
Appendix: Ragamalika March. Questions. Passages for sight singing and Raga
identification. Test Pallavis.

Book. V: 1. Music and mathematics. 2. Early experiments in music. 3.
Survival of the useful and the beautiful in the realm of music. 4. Origin
of scales and ragas. 5. Murchchanakaraka melas. 6. Murchchanakaraka Janya
ragas. 7. Mela, Mela Paddhati and Mela nomenclature. 8. A new scheme of
5184 Melakartas. 9. Musical laws, facts and phenomena known to the Indian
musicologists of ancient and medieval times. 10. The evolution of finger
technique in Indian instrumental music. 11. Raga and emotion. 12. Mudras in
musical compositions. 13. Music and temples. 14. Geographical factors and
music. 15. Miscellaneous: (i) Plural sahityas for famous tunes and plural
tunes for famous sahityas. (ii) The influence of music on health. (iii)
Melodic harmony. (iv). Brinda Gana – its origin and development. (v).
Strutir mata; laya: pita. 16. Raga Lakshana. Appendices I to V. Questions.

Book. VI: 1. Nomenclatures in Indian music. 2. Musical facts. 3. Facts
relating to ragas. 4. Music and religion. 5. Indian music and western
music-some parallel concepts. 6. Vestiges of Indian music in the music of
the neighbouring countries. 7. Modern institutions for the preservation and
development of music and dance. 8. Influences of Hindusthani music on
Karnatic music. 9. Recent advances in the realm of musicology, repertoire,
musical instruments and research. 10. Kuravanji Natakas. 11. Music of the
ancient Tamils. 12. Folk music and classical music. 13. Consonance. 14.
Music in Europe and other countries. 15. Ragas mentioned in ancient and
medieval works. 16. Ragas mentioned in modern works. 17. Some acoustic
marvels. 18. Raga Lakshana: a note on svara sancharas in vakra ragas. 19.
Pallavis. 20. Rain producing music. 21. Mysore as a seat of music. 22.
Honours bestowed on musicians and dancers in the past and present. 23.
Music as a factor in promoting world harmony. Appendices: (i) Indian dance.
(ii) Raga lakshana (cont.).

https://archive.org/details/dli.ministry.27103/966.ignca-19284-rb_Part_1/

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.367446

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/2rn9lbzq0zx4w3fwdckcq/BkE-SathyanarayanaR-Karnataka-Music-As-Aesthetic-Form-2004-0318.pdf?rlkey=vquu3zladf0dnp80v2kpkxvhn&e=1&dl=0

[image: image.png]

IGNCA's music related publication results

https://ignca.gov.in/?s=music&post_type=page

musicresearchlibrary.net/omeka/about

MusicResearchLibrary-Catalog - 06 Aug 2023
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/h1k7fhg3spkhw6q5i317h/MusicResearchLibrary-Catalog-06-Aug-2023.xlsm?rlkey=s6ygan0hb6jvzln661jt8iuj2&e=1&dl=0

   - Collection: Source Texts
   - https://musicresearchlibrary.net/omeka/items/browse?collection=14
   - Collection: Dissertations

      https://musicresearchlibrary.net/omeka/items/browse?search=&advanced%5B0%5D%5Bjoiner%5D=and&advanced%5B0%5D%5Belement_id%5D=38&advanced%5B0%5D%5Btype%5D=starts+with&advanced%5B0%5D%5Bterms%5D=Diss-Ndx&range=&collection=3&type=&user=&tags=&public=&featured=&submit_search=Search+for+items

On Sun, Jun 23, 2024 at 2:16 PM Martin Gansten via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> A professional Baroque violinist, not an Indologist and so not on this
> list, has asked me for introductions to classical Indian musical theory,
> including the concept of rāga, especially as found in Carnatic music.
> Both primary texts (in translation) and secondary sources are welcome,
> and the period corresponding to the Baroque (17th to 18th century) would
> be of special interest.
>
> This question is entirely outside my field of knowledge, and I would
> appreciate any suggestions from knowledgeable colleagues. If there are
> particular recordings that might be helpful, and perhaps go with a
> particular text/book (by design or serendipity), that would be useful too.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help,
> Martin Gansten

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.
Dean, IndicA
BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra
BoS Kavikulaguru Kalidasa Sanskrit University, Ramtek, Maharashtra
BoS Veda Vijnana Gurukula, Bengaluru.
Member, Advisory Council, Veda Vijnana Shodha Samsthanam, Bengaluru
Former Senior Professor of Cultural Studies,
Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.