[INDOLOGY] Classical Indian musical theory

Martin Gansten martingansten at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 08:46:19 UTC 2024

A professional Baroque violinist, not an Indologist and so not on this
list, has asked me for introductions to classical Indian musical theory,
including the concept of rāga, especially as found in Carnatic music.
Both primary texts (in translation) and secondary sources are welcome,
and the period corresponding to the Baroque (17th to 18th century) would
be of special interest.

This question is entirely outside my field of knowledge, and I would
appreciate any suggestions from knowledgeable colleagues. If there are
particular recordings that might be helpful, and perhaps go with a
particular text/book (by design or serendipity), that would be useful too.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Martin Gansten