[INDOLOGY] Direct Realism of Nyāya

Matthew Kapstein mattkapstein at proton.me
Fri Jun 14 08:39:19 UTC 2024

Dear Lee Ling,

Your question is a good one and I suspect that part of the problem is that scholars of Indian philosophy do not always spell out very clearly what they mean when they use terms of art like "direct realism," "naive realism," "critical realism," etc. Of course, if we are to speak of Indian philosophy in English, or other Western languages, we must use Western philosophical terms, but too often the vocabulary becomes a sort of Procrustean bed. Even within a purely Western context, too, just what "realsim" and its modifications mean is often contested. R. Chisholm, Realism and the Background of Phenomenology is a good source on the early 20th century discussions, but there are many others as well.

good luck!

Matthew T. Kapstein
Professor emeritus
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, PSL Research University, Paris

Associate
The University of Chicago Divinity School

https://ephe.academia.edu/MatthewKapstein

https://vajrabookshop.com/product/the-life-and-work-of-auleshi/

https://www.cornellpress.cornell.edu/book/9781501716218/tibetan-manuscripts-and-early-printed-books-volume-i/#bookTabs=1

https://www.cornellpress.cornell.edu/book/9781501771255/tibetan-manuscripts-and-early-printed-books-volume-ii/#bookTabs=1