[INDOLOGY] Prof. Charles Willemen is no more

Christophe Vielle christophe.vielle at uclouvain.be
Wed Jun 5 15:31:47 UTC 2024

It may be added that Charles Willemen was born on the 17th of October 1941, obtained his Ph.D. in 1975 at the University of Ghent, where he taught classical Chinese and Buddhism for several years (Bart Dessein and Ann Heirman were his students) and retired in 2007. His main books:
•   1974. Dharmapada: a concordance to Udanavarga, Dhammapada, and the Chinese Dharmapada literature. Publications de l'Institut belge des hautes études bouddhiques. Série études et textes 3. Bruxelles: Institut belge des hautes études bouddhiques.
•   1975. Udanavarga: Chinese-Sanskrit Glossary. Tokyo: Hokuseido, X, 101 p.
•   1975. Abhidharmhrdaya: The Essence of metaphysics. Bruxelles, translated and annotated by Charles Willemen, 366 pages, 26 pages (Chinese Text), Chinese-Sanskrit glossary, English-Sanskrit glossary. Publications de l'Institut Belge des Hautes Etudes Bouddhiques, Serie études et textes 4.Bruxelles: Institut belge des hautes études bouddhiques.
•   1978. Transl. and Annot. The Chinese Udanavarga: A Collection of Important Odes of the Law (Fa chi yao sung ching). Mélanges chinois et bouddhiques 19. Bruxelles: Institut belge des hautes études chinoises, 19.
•   1983. The Chinese Hevajratantra: the scriptural text of the ritual of the Great King of the teaching, the Adamantine one with great compassion and knowledge of the void. Orientalia Gandensia 8. Leuven: Peeters, 208 p.
•   1994. Transl. The storehouse of sundry valuables. Tsa-pao-tsang-ching. Compiled by T'an-yao. Transl. into Chinese by Kikkaya and Liu Hsiao-piao. BDK English Tripitaka 10/1. Berkeley (Calif.): Numata center for Buddhist tranlation and research, XIX, 275 p.
•   1998. With Bart Dessein & Collet Cox. Sarvāstivāda Buddhist Scholasticism. Handbuch der Orientalistik. 2. Abt.: Indien 11. Leiden: Brill, XVII, 341 p.