[INDOLOGY] Svarodaya

Westin Harris wlharris at ucdavis.edu
Thu Jul 18 03:16:00 UTC 2024

Dear Matthew (if I may) and Indologists,

It is unlikely to shed much light on your question about "older versions"
of the text, pre-14/15th C., but for whatever it may be worth, here's my 2
rupees:

The 16th century Odia poet, Jaśobant Dāsa (aka. Yashovant Das),
translated/transcreated an Odia version of the text under the title *Śiba
Swarodaẏa*. For that reason, several secondary sources on Odia literature,
like Mohanty's *Oḍiśāra Nātha Saṃpradāya o Nāthasāhitya* and MIshra's *The
Cult of Jagannātha, *discuss the *Svarodaya*, particularly in relation to
other slightly related Odia works like the *Saptāṅgajogasāraṭikā* of
Baḷarāma Dāsa.

Unfortunately, these treatments are often very brief and cursory.
Nonetheless, I still offer these leads because -- depending on your
penchant or masochism (/joking) -- you might find more on the topic in
other Anglophone studies of Odia literature. Admittedly, it's a bit of a
long shot though.

Either way, I'll be interested to see what arises from your study of the
two collections of Tibetan diagrams.

*Sincerely,*

*Westin Harris*
Ph.D. Candidate
Study of Religion
University of California, Davis
https://religionsgrad.ucdavis.edu/people/westin-harris
<https://religions.ucdavis.edu/people/westin-harris>

2021 Dissertation Fellow,
The Robert H. N. Ho Family Foundation Program in Buddhist Studies

Sarva Mangalam.