[INDOLOGY] Anaysis of ecstasy

Lyne Bansat-Boudon Lyne.Bansat-Boudon at ephe.psl.eu
Mon Aug 19 10:24:03 UTC 2024

Dear Howard,

I have not investigated  Rūpa’s theory.  But, what I can say is that, from the point of view of the Nāṭyaśāstra and Abhinavagupta thereon, sthāyibhāvas and sāttvikabhāvas are by no means "ecstatic states". They are  elements of the mechanics of passions which serves as the foundation of the rasa theory.

More, perhaps, in

  1.
my book "Poétique  du théâtre indien" (EFEO 1992).

 2. (2004) Pourquoi le théâtre ? La réponse indienne. Les Quarante piliers. Paris : Mille et une nuits. 293 p.

3. (1992). « Le sentiment contemplé. Remarques sur la poésie dans les spéculations indiennes ». In : Poétique 92, p. 419-425.

4. You can see also, for another category: « Les sāttvikāl̇ankāra.Un théâtre de la séduction ». In : Journal asiatique 279 (1-2), p. 199-226 —provided you have the courage to read French!

As for the "ecstatic states" (what is the sanskrit word in Rūpa?), I would rather suggest you have a look on an English paper of mine, in which I deal with "extreme experiences", or "hyperesthesia".  There I also deal  with the elements of the rasa theory, p. 84, n. 27). Here is the reference:

  *
(2022). « The Surprise of Spanda. An Aesthetic Approach to a Phenomenology of Transcendence (Rāmakaṇṭha ad Spandakārikā 2.6 [1.22/22]) ». In : ‘Verità e bellezza’. Essays in Honour of Raffaele Torella. Sous la dir. de Francesco Sferra et Vincenzo Vergiani. Napoli : UniorPress, p. 73-101.

If you have difficulty finding these articles, and if you are in any way interested, let me know, I will manage to send you their pdf.

Best wishes,

Lyne

Lyne Bansat-Boudon

Directeur d'études pour les Religions de l'Inde

Ecole pratique des hautes études, section des sciences religieuses

Membre senior honoraire de l'Institut universitaire de France