[INDOLOGY] Request for help - materiality of texts and textual production

J.M. Fritzman fritzman at lclark.edu
Mon Aug 12 20:54:54 UTC 2024

Namaste!

Although not about Sanskrit literature,

A. R. Venkatachalapthy.  2012.  *The Province Of The Book: **Scholars,Scribes
and Scribblers in Colonial Tamilnadu*.  Permanent Black.
https://www.permanentblack.com/product-page/the-province-of-the-book
https://www.amazon.com/dp/8178243318

David Shulman.  2016.  *Tamil: A Biography*.  Belknap Press.
https://www.hup.harvard.edu/books/9780674059924
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0674059921/

may provide helpful points of comparison.

Cheers!

On Sun, Aug 11, 2024 at 6:44 PM McComas Taylor via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Dear colleagues
>
> What has been written about the materiality of texts and textual
> production in the realm of Sanskrit literature? I am interested to find out
> about the ways in which 'books' as physical artefacts and writing as a
> practical process are addressed in Sanskrit literature.  There is plenty on
> the history of writing and epigraphy, but I have not yet been able to find
> much on 'the book' etc - I would be very grateful for any references.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> McComas
>

> *McComas Taylor, *Professor of Sanskrit
> College of Asia and Pacific, Australian National University
> Secretary-General, International Assoc. of Sanskrit Studies

Dr. J. M. Fritzman, Associate Professor

fritzman at lclark.edu

Department of Philosophy
Lewis & Clark College