[INDOLOGY] Request for help - materiality of texts and textual production

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Mon Aug 12 19:05:31 UTC 2024

Changing depictions of Sarasvatī [vīṇāpustakadhārinī] holding a book may be
illustrative of some changes. Similarly, Brahmā is shown sometimes as
holding four pothis of the Vedas. A verse like "pustakasthā tu yā vidyā
parahastagatam dhanam / kāryakāle samutpanne na sā vidyā na tad dhanam //"
is indicative of the emergence of written materials.

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
Adjunct Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore, India

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]