[INDOLOGY] Request for help - materiality of texts and textual production

Patrick Olivelle jpo at austin.utexas.edu
Mon Aug 12 12:34:26 UTC 2024

Hi McComas:
The work that comes to mind is Losty’s The Art of the Book in India. https://archive.org/details/Losty1982

Best

Patrick

On Aug 11, 2024, at 8:44 PM, McComas Taylor via INDOLOGY <indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

Dear colleagues

What has been written about the materiality of texts and textual production in the realm of Sanskrit literature? I am interested to find out about the ways in which 'books' as physical artefacts and writing as a practical process are addressed in Sanskrit literature.  There is plenty on the history of writing and epigraphy, but I have not yet been able to find much on 'the book' etc - I would be very grateful for any references.

Thanks in advance,

McComas

      <Outlook-do1rdomd.png>        <Outlook-cxner3ua.jpg>
McComas Taylor, Professor of Sanskrit
College of Asia and Pacific, Australian National University
Secretary-General, International Assoc. of Sanskrit Studies