[INDOLOGY] Are there two different om (praNava) signs in Sharada?

Deepro Chakraborty deepro at ualberta.ca
Wed May 31 17:26:48 UTC 2023

Dear all,

In a Kashmiri Sharada manuscript, two different om symbols are used (image
attached). I have seen both of them in manuscripts but have not seen them
being used in the same manuscript. Is it the case that they are used in
different contexts, such as, when both are used, the first one is used at
the beginning of the text and the other one elsewhere?

--
Deepro Chakraborty
(he/him)

*The University of Alberta acknowledges that we are located on ᐊᒥᐢᑿᒌᐚᐢᑲᐦᐃᑲᐣ
(Amiskwacîwâskahikan) Treaty 6 territory, and respects the history,
languages, and cultures of the First Nations, Métis, Inuit, and all First
Peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our institution.*