[INDOLOGY] the word 'sesame' and the use of sesame oil

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Mon May 1 16:32:04 UTC 2023

Sesame oil is absolutely everywhere in Ayurvedic literature.  And as Paturi
pointed out, there's a fourteenth-century metarule presented by
Śāraṅgadhara that "oil" means "sesame oil" unless otherwise stated.  No,
I'm not aware of any name similar to /sesame/ that isn't a loanword.

Watt is always good:
https://archive.org/details/commercialproduc00wattuoft/page/980/mode/2up

If one knew where to look, there is probably more up-to-date information
from genetics about the very early history and distribution of the plant.

Best,
Dominik