[INDOLOGY] Pronounciation of Gayatri mantra in Rg-veda

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Thu Mar 30 13:17:51 UTC 2023

Dear Harry,

     Theoretically, every Svarita is a combination of udātta+anudātta [or
udāttatara+anudātta in some schools]. This transition from udātta to
anudātta becomes much more noticeable in the case of long vowels, and this
is what gets designated as a long Svarita. In the case of the Gāyatrī
verse, vowels in the syllables रे, गो and या would qualify to be pronounced
as long Svaritas. The long Svaritas are not as prominent in Maharashtrian
Vedic recitation as they are in South India. This is my observation.

Madhav

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
Adjunct Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore, India

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]