[INDOLOGY] Etymology of the word"Devnagari"

Andrew Ollett andrew.ollett at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 17:50:38 UTC 2023

I am almost certain that we had a discussion on this list about this
question, in the course of which it was mentioned that (1) "Dēvanāgarī" is
a relatively late term, and (2) "Nāgarī" is certainly the earlier term, but
the reason for applying that name to the script is not definitely known. It
seems that the INDOLOGY archives can now only be searched back to 2021 (?).
Anyway, I did not succeed in finding the discussion, but the etymology from
Wikipedia is certainly wrong.