[INDOLOGY] ळ in south Indian grantha sanskrit manuscripts

Christophe Vielle christophe.vielle at uclouvain.be
Fri Mar 24 16:37:25 UTC 2023

More specifically related to Kerala (but still without historical explanation or systematical account) is the article of K. Kunjunni Raja, "Kerala Pronunciation of Sanskrit", Adyar Library Bulletin 25, 1961, pp. 461-476 - see on l/ḷ the pp. 472-3 here attached.
The general question which arises in the case of "purely" regional texts is: should the critical edition of such texts adopt the regional spellings of Sanskrit, as given (all) in the (indigenous script) manuscripts, or shift to the normalized orthography. As reminded by Esposito, the printed editions in local scripts (for instance Malayalam) preserve these peculiar spellings of the local manuscripts.
[IMG_6489.jpg]