[INDOLOGY] ळ in south Indian grantha sanskrit manuscripts

Buchholz, Jonas jonas.buchholz at hadw-bw.de
Fri Mar 24 08:13:37 UTC 2023

Dear Harry (if I may),

Retroflex l (ळ) is quite common in South Indian Sanskrit manuscripts and prints. For example, in the Śaiva Kāñcīmāhātmya (a Sanskrit sthalamāhātmya on the city of Kanchipuram), I find the following examples just in the first two chapterts: śītal̤a, yugal̤a, uddhūl̤ita, kāl̤ikā, vakul̤a, nāl̤ikera, dal̤a, niṣkal̤a, sakal̤a, kramel̤aka, maul̤i…

Sanskrit loanwords in South Indian languages also often reflect the pronunciation with retroflex l, e.g. the goddes Kālī is called காளி Kāḷi (with retroflex l) in Tamil.

My impression is that there are certain words in which l is quite consistently replaced by retroflex l, while other words retain then “normal” l. However, I have not been able to find any consistent pattern when l becomes retroflex – any insights would be appreciated!

Another question is how retroflex l should be represented in Roman transliteration. The most straightforward solution would be ḷ (in analogy with ṭ, ḍ, ṇ, ṣ), which is also the character used for retroflex l in Tamil transliteration, but in IAST transliteration ḷ is already reserved for vocalic l (ऌ). As you can see above, I have tentatively been using l̤ for retroflex l, but I would be happy to know if any other conventions have been used.

Best wishes,
Jonas Buchholz

Dr. Jonas Buchholz
Heidelberg Academy of Sciences and Humanities
Project “Hindu Temple Legends in South India”

Karl Jaspers Centre
Voßstr. 2 | Building 4400 | Room 004
69115 Heidelberg, Germany

P:  +49 (0)6221 54 4095