[INDOLOGY] Colloquium on “Interreligious Interactions in South Asia,” April 3–12, 2023

Pranav Prakash pranav.prakash at chch.ox.ac.uk
Mon Mar 20 09:54:18 UTC 2023

Dear Colleagues and Friends,

We are delighted to announce a virtual colloquium on “Interreligious Interactions in South Asia” that will take place over Zoom from April 3 to April 12, 2023 (15:00–16:30 GMT / 10:00–11:30 EST / 20:30–22:00 IST).

Zoom link: https://zoom.us/j/94189387595?pwd=Q0hvNDZvYjhDUVZOTHkxSWxNVGIyQT09
Meeting ID: 941 8938 7595
Passcode: 181402

We envision our colloquium to be brainstorming sessions for examining how interreligious interactions are analysed and theorised in diverse disciplines today, and in what ways historical sources and ethnographic data from South Asia elaborate such interactions. Our presenters have pre-circulated reading materials that would be helpful in understanding their arguments. If you would like to consult these reading materials, please email: trinbarua at gmail.com.

Please find the abstracts of our colloquium and the flyer as attachments to this email.

April 3, 2023
Speaker: Samia Khatun (SOAS, University of London)
Title: Nur, Darshan & Enlightenment: Three Approaches to Connecting Texts and Textiles in 18th century Bengal

April 4, 2023
Speaker: Sohini Sarah Pillai (Kalamazoo College)
Title: A Bhakti Mahabharata for Aurangzeb? Sabalsingh Chauhan’s Bhasha Retelling of the Epic

April 5, 2023
Speaker: Kashhaf Ghani (Nalanda University)
Title: Seeking Allah and Krishna: Sufism and Religious Interactions from South Asia

April 6, 2023
Speaker: SherAli Tarren
Title: Contests over the Boundaries of Hindu-Muslim Friendship

April 7, 2023
Speaker: Jyoti Gulati Balachandran (Penn State University)
Title: Socio-Political Dimensions of Spiritual Practice in Gujarat: Notes from Two 15th century Sufi silsilahs

April 12, 2023
Speaker: Shankar Ayillath Nair
Title: Rāma and Sītā as Adam and Eve: The Rāmāyaṇa through the Prism of the Persian Romance

 We eagerly look forward to your participation in our colloquium.

Sincerely,
Ankur Barua (University of Cambridge)
Hina Khalid (University of Cambridge)

Pranav Prakash (University of Oxford)

Pranav Prakash

Junior Research Fellow, Christ Church, University of Oxford

Senior Mellon Fellow, Rare Book School, University of Virginia

Website<https://www.pranav-prakash.com/> | LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/in/pranav-prakash-570573167/> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/4PranavPrakash>