[INDOLOGY] Unicode font for ancient and modern Tamil

Satyanad Kichenassamy satyanad.kichenassamy at univ-reims.fr
Thu Mar 16 22:18:25 UTC 2023

Dear Jean-Luc, Dear Manu (if I may),

Indeed, I was talking about all of the forms both of you mentioned, namely

- long ra with a vinculum
- short ra with a macron. The macron may even be linked to the ra if one
writes very fast.
- line covering a puḷḷi (to correct a mistake)

The first two enable disambiguation. It is not clear to me from a
historical viewpoint whether they were introduced for the purpose, or
whether they were natural evolutions (people do tend to link characters
together when they write fast). The aesthetic dimension may also be
relevant.

These are forms in use in my family. I am attaching a photograph with
examples in my own handwriting. My parents used the same and, as I said,
I have encountered them in manuscripts but didn't make a special note of
them since these forms were familiar to me.

The vinculum is a line to "link together" several characters;
mathematicians, especially British, used to write this over expressions
as a substitute for a parenthesis. Thus, in (self-explanatory) LaTeX
code, \overline{x+y} means (x+y). (This is consistent with the Latin
etymology: a /vinculum/ is a link, /in vincula/ means in fetters etc.)
The first example seemed to me to be a vinculum rather than a macron
since it links the two characters.

About the examples with e and o, it may be that the additional marks are
sloppily written puḷḷi-s and not bars. I am referring to தொல்காப்பியம்,
எழுத்ததிகாரம், நூன்மரபு 15-16 that read :

மெய்யி னியற்கை புள்ளியொடு நிலையல்
எகர​ ஒகரத் தியற்கையு மற்றே.

(For people who do not read Tamil, this means that consonants
intrinsically stand with a dot, and that short e and short o have the
same intrinsic feature. Tolkaappiyam is the first grammar of classical
Tamil; it actually includes quite a bit of literary analysis in addition
to grammar in the narrow sense and, as we see here, treats language as
written as well as spoken.)

Kind regards to both,

         Satyanad K.